Ex-Forces Support North Yorkshire was a consortium led by Community First Yorkshire, and made up of the following organisations: Age UK & District, Carers Resource, Citizens Advice, Groundwork, Just the Job Environmental Enterprise, North Yorkshire Sport, North Yorkshire Youth, Richmond Community Voluntary Action (RCVA), Richmondshire District Council, Rural Arts, Saint Michael’s Hospice, Scarborough Borough Council, Yorkshire Energy Doctor and Yorkshire Housing. We also worked closely with North Yorkshire County Council’s Living Well team, as well as military charities including SSAFA and Royal British Legion.
Working as a partnership, coming together at quarterly intervals, we delivered services that contributed to, and widened, existing support available for older veterans across North Yorkshire. We did this by providing person-centred, practical, financial and holistic support, including:
- Opportunities to take part in new activities or to revisit old hobbies.
- Advice and practical support to keep warm, safe and well at home.
- Befriending services and opportunities to meet new people and connect to the local community.
- Volunteering opportunities.
- Basic home and garden maintenance.
- Specialist advice and advocacy.
- Support for carers.
- Emergency grants.
For a round up of the project and the support that we offered, please read our Impact Report.
North Yorkshire’s Unsung Heroes: Their Stories is a book created through the project sharing the experiences of ex-members of the Armed Forces. You can download it here.