Help and guidance for trustees no matter where you are in your governance journey.
Trustees' Week 6-10 November 2023
Many voices. Working together. With purpose
Trustees’ Week is a chance for us to come together to celebrate all that volunteer trustees do for our sector.
The theme for Trustees Week this year is ‘Many voices. Working together. With purpose.‘ and having a strong board of trustees and the right governance practices can really help to strengthen and guide your organisation through changes. Take a look at this blog from our chief executive, Jane Colthup, as she shares why a transparent and trusting relationship with her trustees is key.
Explore some of the resources, training and volunteering opportunities for trustees that we will be sharing throughout the week, and get involved by following us on Facebook, X (formerly Twitter and LinkedIn.
Trustee recruitment toolkit
Enrich your board with the right trustees – our guide will walk you through your trustee recruitment journey from planning and identifying what you need, advertising, interviewing and appointment, to induction. We’ve included some useful templates to help you along the way.
Take advantage of the trustee training that we’re putting on this week:
- Financial Risk and Awareness (7 November): get to grips with the three Rs of charity finance: Responsibility, Rules and Risk. As a trustee, do you know what know what questions you should be asking around money management? Do you understand the risks – what they are, and your role as a trustee in managing them?
- Safeguarding responsibilities for trustees (10 November): as a trustee or management committee member, you have a big responsibility to prioritise the safety of anyone who comes into contact with your organisation/group whether they are beneficiaries, volunteers, staff or visitors. This training will help you: develop your confidence in safeguarding matters, get the latest information on good safeguarding governance, and explore what your responsibilities are.
- How to recruit trustees successfully (16 November): have you tried to recruit trustees and been unsuccessful? In our client survey, a quarter of charities in North Yorkshire told us their biggest challenge was recruiting trustees. So, why is the trustee recruitment process so difficult? This training will help you consider the steps to take when advertising, selecting, interviewing, appointing and inducting your new trustees or committee members.
- Strengthening your board: dynamics and diversity (7 December): getting the dynamics right is crucial to providing strong leadership for your charity or group. How can you create an environment where trustees feel supported and comfortable enough to challenge each other in a constructive way? This training will help.
Be inspired by the thoughts and ideas shared in these blogs about trusteeship:
- Empowering trustees: navigating the landscape with Community First Yorkshire! – from our own Andy Shield might wet your appetite to get involved with this year’s campaign.
- How I became a trustee – Community First Yorkshire trustee, Rebecca Buckley, talks about the role of a trustee hand what prompted her to take on the challenge.
Looking for trustee roles?
Find the ideal role to suit you on our Volunteering in North Yorkshire (VINY) directory.